I know that all the drama is sucking the fannish happiness right out of some people, and that breaks my heart. I also know that it's creating a sort of vortex of negativity that threatens to devour us all.
So what I want to do--what I've been wanting to do for the last few weeks--is for all of us to take a few moments to remember things that we love. Straight-up love. Purely, perfectly, whole-heartedly. Characters, scenes, episodes, lines that we have zero complaints about because they are perfect to us. They set us flailing or sighing or crying or smiling. They bring us joy.
So I'm going to start. I'm going to list ten Things I Love that immediately come into my mind, knowing that that I'm leaving a thousand things off of this list. Read them. Take a few minutes, think of your own, make a list here in the comments of as many or as few Things You Love as you like. Read other people's thoughts and remember other Things You Love. Then pimp this out as much as you like. Send people over here to contribute to the collection so that we can create a sort of scrapbook of Things That We Absolutely Love. If you think of more Things You Love, add them to the list. Keep going as long as you want. Revel in the Love.
This is a thread of happiness. No attacking anyone else's squee. If you disagree, just ignore it. Also, if you want to list Angel things--like how awesome Lilah is or the scene where Angel and Connor sing the Jasmine song--go right ahead! Angel fandom's getting hit pretty hard right now, too.
Here are the first ten Things I Love that pop into my head:
1. Spike and Dawn arguing about who is badder in Blood Ties
2. The perfectly in-character Scooby-thoughts that Buffy hears in Earshot: Cordy thinks it and says it, Oz has an existential crisis, Willow is insecure, Xander thinks about sex
3. Buffy and Spike on the back porch in Fool for Love. THEY. SIGH. IN. SYNC.
4. Spike and Joyce in the living room in Becoming: Part II--"Have we met?"
5. The Class Protector Award in The Prom
6. Anya's speech in The Body (And in End of Days. And in Hell's Bells. QUIT MAKING ME CRY, ANYA.)
7. The rocket launcher scuffle behind Robin Wood in Him
8. Restless. All of it. (But especially Riley the Big Dumb Cowboy.)
9. The last half of Tabula Rasa, and the switch from hilarity to beautiful angst in the space of a few moments.
10. The sad, heartbroken montage at the end of Lovers Walk...that becomes Spike barreling down the road singing "My Way" on the top of his lungs
Got the idea? Now. GO!