|lirazel (lirazel) wrote,|
@ 2010-03-07 03:48 pm UTC
|Entry tags:||lauren is a geek, movies|
I shouldn't watch the Oscars. I never watch the Emmys because I care about TV so much and the right people never win, and it's better for me to avoid impotent rage, which is all TV awards shows stir in me.
I don't get quite so worked up about the Oscars, but still: I always end up yelling at the screen. Always. Usually with lots of people around, though I don't know if the party my friends and I had planned tonight will fall through (long story). Regardless of where I am, though, I'll be glued to the television, even though I shouldn't.
And I'm getting this party started already.
Things that have pissed me off already:
1. One nomination for Bright Star. And it's in costume design. And it won't win (though it probably should).
2. Inglourious Basterds has no chance at winning best picture. If it loses to The Hurt Locker, I will be okay with this. If it loses to Avatar (which is my spoiler pick--I think HL is going to win, but if anything else does, it'll be Avatar), I'm going to be PISSED.
3. Sandra Bullock is probably going to win for The Blind Side, and if she doesn't it'll be Meryl Streep for Julie and Julia. The former annoys me because there's no way her performance was really the best performance by a female actress this year. The second annoys me because I am sick and tired of the Academy giving away any acting award to someone who can do a reasonable imitation of another famous person. It's getting ooooooold. Besides, I've never been that taken with Meryl Streep. I find her technically perfect but emotionally uninvolving. I always feel at a distance from her, like I'm watching MERYL STREEP. I realize that I'm the only one who feels this way, but it's still true.
4. I haven't seen any of the foreign films this year. I don't know anything about any of them. *sob*
5. Does anybody think the main actors category nominations this year are weak? I mean, I love Morgan Freeman, but Invictus is not his best work (again: imitation!), and what is it with Hollywood's hard-on for George Clooney? He's so smarmy! He always plays himself! Firth and Renner probably deserve it (haven't seen their films yet), but both Streep and Bullock seem like like they only got onto the ticket based on their names, and possibly even Mirren, too. The supporting actor categories are always more interesting, but seriously? Penelope Cruz for Nine? Riiiight. Matt Damon is wonderful in general (not to mention attractive) but he definitely didn't deserve a nomination. At least Waltz and Mo'Nique will win their categories.
Things that are actually good:
1. Kathryn Bigelow will probably win best director. This is epic news. I haven't seen Hurt Locker yet, but I do not even care. A woman. Winning best director. For an action film. WIN.
2. Christoph Waltz is totally going to win best supporting actor. YAY!
3. Up! will win best animated picture. Which it deserves based on this alone:
Okay, I totally just cried again.
Anyway! Does anyone else have feelings about the whole Oscar thing? Am I the only one who gets way too into this?